We are recruiting for a key role at Colonna. We are actively looking for a highly motivated 2IC for Maxwell Colonna-Dashwood to support and work with him on all aspects of the Colonna coffee and roastery business.
Colonna is a key business within the Paced Group.
This role is a key hire and needed to strengthen the management team. It allows the business owner to remove him/herself from the company with the confidence that the company will carry on running the same in their absence.
Colonna is a fast growing, world renowned and innovative speciality coffee company based in the south west of England. The company prides itself on its continual pursuit of exceptional coffee.
The story began with the destination concept coffee shop Colonna and Small’s in Bath in 2009. The store established itself as a landmark speciality coffee experience, showcasing the world's best coffee.
Colonna has its roots in the specialty third wave coffee movement, but it’s ambitions lie in engaging quality discerning customers around the world in the complex flavours and stories of exceptional coffee. Colonna is also viewed as a leader in innovation being one of the first to market with speciality coffee capsules and bringing to market in 2019 a water jug with filtration optimised for the at home coffee drinker.
Colonna is a dynamic company that works through various channels and collaborations. Colonna ships to 50 countries every month through its growing d2c platform. Wholesale partnerships include some of the world’s finest specialty coffee destinations to brand collaborations looking to tell a quality driven coffee story and deliver in the cup.
It is an exciting time for Colonna as it builds on its world wide reputation for innovation and disruption in the coffee space. the business is growing quickly and making a name for itself as the go to coffee partner for ambitious speciality coffee projects.
Colonna will be continuing to focus on exploring the possibilities of great coffee, expanding the roastery operations, exploring new formats and establishing the brand through multiple channels and markets.
In 2017, Colonna merged with the Paced Group, a group focused on developing innovative brands and products within the specialty coffee space. Since then Colonna has expanded its facilities and roasting capabilities and services a global customer base with customers in the UAE, Europe and America. Colonna has partnerships in place with exciting and market leading brands such as Rapha and Global Cycling Network.
With a strong focus on content and narratve for its customers, Colonna provides its customers with ways to increase their engagement and revenues. Not only targeted at the niche specialty coffee wholesale or retail customer, the Colonna brand accesses the wider coffee market and the increasingly educated and curious end consumer seeking quality.
Colonna curates a range of the worlds most exceptional coffee, sourced and roasted to showcase their unique and sought after flavours.
Colonna has a continually changing selection of coffee based on the seasonality and nature of coffee as well as a desire to showcase a variety of incredible coffee flavour profiles throughout the year.
Our collaborative coffee projects often mean a bespoke sourcing relationship for a specific coffee, its flavour and story.
Colonna has been at the forefront of the specialty coffee sector in areas such as capsules and water. The Peak Water jug is launching in 2019 and is hotly anticipated by the coffee community in the UK and rest of the world.
Awards and recognition
Founder Maxwell Colonna-Dashwood is a 3 time UK Barista Champion, Young British Foodie award winner and international speaker across the coffee industry. Maxwell has also authored two books on coffee.
Head roaster Bethany Williams is a 2018 European roasting champion.
Colonna and Small’s the Bath-based flagship destination store has many accolades, appearing in multiple top coffee shop lists, with mentions in Vogue and the independent. The shop won best European cafe in 2017.
Colonna’s disruptive and innovative approach to capsule coffee has been featured in a variety of prominent press such as the Telegraph newspaper. The specialty Coffee capsules were featured in Wired magazines top innovative products of 2017.
Background to role
The entrepreneur behind Colonna, Maxwell Colonna Dashwood founded the Colonna business with an initial store in Bath. The store has gone on to win international awards and attracts customers worldwide. The Colonna roastery followed soon after and in 2017 Colonna merged with Paced, an entrepreneurial coffee group. In partnership with Paced, Colonna’s capacity has been expanded and invested in at the new Yate head quarters. An additional capacity expansion is coming on line in the second half of 2019 with the addition of a new state of the art 70kg roaster. Colonna now represents a core part of the Paced Group and its leading position in innovation in coffee globally makes it a hugely exciting place for an enthusiastic and hard working individual with a passion for coffee and business.
Working closely with Maxwell, this individual will be responsible for delivering on the next phase of growth. For the right individual the role will allow the candidate to participate in building the future of Colonna and sharing in that success.
Reporting to Maxwell Colonna-Dashwood in the role of 2IC but with liaison with the Paced board Managing Director and Finance Director.
– Day to day management and oversight of the Colonna roastery operations.
– Project management and execution oversight of the various significant commercial relationships in collaboration with the MD.
– Responsible for the design, development and implementation of efficient business operations.
– Roastery Management: manage a team of five persons that is expanding. Comprises of production, purchasing, IT, logistics, technical, product development. Indirect management and overview of marketing, sales and customer care.
– Management and execution of key projects across the business in collaboration with the MD and relevant team members.
– Commercial analysis: Provide management reporting, stock management, conduct analysis of management accounts, website statistics and promotional analysis in partnership with the content and digital department. Conduct internal spend and external market analysis and confirm potential savings opportunities. Create and own benefits tracking, monitoring and reporting of procurement savings, progress, forecast, etc.
– Finance: Financial oversight of the roastery operations. Working with Group Finance Director and Colonna MD to ensure budget is met. Preparation, negotiation and control of the annual operations budget including recommendations to meet the growth, infrastructure and environmental needs of the business.
– Customer Service: Ensure Colonna continues to provide inspirational customer service through efficient purchasing, production, transport, customer liaison and technical service. Ensuring smooth procedures through working with the head of logistics and head of client relations to achieve the highest possible service to customers.
– Best practice: To Maintain compliance and continuous improvement in all operational, H&S and environmental areas. To play a lead role engendering a culture of behavioural safety across all operational activities of the business. To maintain and oversee Salsa and Organic certifications with head of logistics.
– Suppliers: Alongside the Procurement Manager and head green coffee buyer - negotiate the best arrangements on price that maintain the companies high quality and product spec. Responsible for assisting with development of long term strategic supplier relationships.
– Third Party Relationship Management – to effectively manage and develop suppliers, third party manufacturers and logistics providers ensuring value for money, surety of supply, fair contracts, rapid response and excellent levels of customer service.
– Human Resources: Investigate and implement training, development, employee relations, performance reviews and assist in recruitment.
– Office Management: Ensure the smooth running of the office. To include general organizational management and IT/telecoms support.
– Projects: To be the project lead in managing resulting operational expansion activity from inception through to completion ensuring projects run to time and within budget.
– Risk Management: Develop risk assessment and contingency planning as part of standard operating procedures, debtor management, instituting supplier remediation programmes for high risk providers and increase logistics and supply agility to mitigate risk / allow for faster recovery where necessary.
NB: As with any fast growing and entrepreneurial company, the duties outlined above are unlikely to be exhaustive and may need to be amended from time to time.
– Proven track record of successful executing organisational change within a fast growing company.
– Experience of working in a high growth start up where you have lived through and supported significant growth.
– Self-sufficient, mature in nature and ability to be involved in the operational detail as well as have a strategic overview.
– A great team leader who leads by example and is happy to roll their sleeves up.
– Customer orientation with an ability to build relationships and credibility across all customer types and channels.
– Coffee experience is not essential.
You must have an outgoing character with a good sense of humour and a positive personal style.
– Energetic and committed with a real enthusiasm for the business.
– Proven skills in developing and setting high level strategy but must be happy to also actively implement plans personally.
– Communication skills should be of the highest calibre, as this person will represent Colonna internally and externally. Good negotiating skills are key.
– It is crucial that the individual has a strong commercial mentality. They should have worked in a company where operations is seen as an essential contributor to the bottom line, but where the function does not restrain entrepreneurial spirit, pace, growth or dynamism.
– Ability to be comfortable with, and adapt to change in a business environment.
– Has a clear sense of purpose and direction with personal values aligned with those of Colonna.
Primarily based at the roastery in Yate, Bristol, with the expectation to travel on occasion where needed.
A competitive basic salary is on offer, as well as a bonus scheme and equity after one year’s service.
To be considered for the role please mail firstname.lastname@example.org